Thursday, July 26, 2018

Humbly and respectfully listen

According to the National Day Calendar, today is National Aunt and Uncle Day. It is pretty neat to be an uncle. I remember when my first nephew was born that it was a new day. I was more than just a son and brother; I was an uncle.

I've been very blessed in my life with good aunts and uncles. They have shared many pieces of advice throughout the years. Some I have heeded; some I have not. One thing I do know, though, is that they love me, and they dispensed their advice to me to try and help me become a better man. For that, I am forever grateful.

Today's word is 1 Peter 5:5, ESV, which reads, "Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility towards one another, for 'GOD opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.'''

I have a theory that between the ages of 14 and 25, you know everything. I know; I used to be between 14 and 25. Now, you don't really know everything BUT you certainly think you do. It is during this time, while we are doing really stupid things, that people, uncles and aunts included, try to tell us things to make our lives easier. BUT, we don't always listen because "we know everything". And, it still happens, from time to time, even after 25, just less frequently for most of us.

If you find yourself in a bind, in a bad place, making bad decisions, and someone wants to give you a little advice, be open to hearing it. We should listen to those older because, they have lived it. We need to humble ourselves and listen. Now, the advice may not always be good. We may have to really evaluate it and discern what we need to do. However, we should humbly and respectfully listen.

Be Blessed,
Mickey T

No comments:

Post a Comment