Monday, January 26, 2015

This hurts me more than you

Growing up, I got my share of discipline. I have mentioned before that some people got paddled, some whipped, we got whooped. If you have ever had a whooping, you know the difference. I will admit, though, I deserved every single whooping I got; and, I probably didn't get a few that I deserved.

I kid that prior to the meting out of punishment, Pops would say, "Trust me, this is going to hurt you more than it hurts me." But, the truth of the matter was that hurt Pops and Momma to whoop us. Having kids of your own really brings clarity to this. It is absolutely heart-wrenching to have to discipline those you love.

Today's word is Lamentations 3:33, NIV, which reads, "For He does not willingly bring affliction or grief to anyone."

GOD, our Heavenly Father, does not enjoy disciplining His children either. This verse tells us that He never willingly causes pain to anyone. He wants everyone to love Him and serve Him and obey Him. But, He never wants to have to "get our attention". However, just like our parents, and we as parents, have to get our children's attention so does GOD with His children. He has to correct us and reprimand us from time to time.

It's never easy to discipline and correct those that we love but it is an absolute necessity. We have to correct inappropriate behavior and foster appropriate. Yet, it kills us. It hurts to have to correct the children; it is heart-wrenching. It is for GOD too.

Be Blessed,
Mickey T

No comments:

Post a Comment